Saturday, September 16, 2006

Time Management

Earlier this week when I was searching through the archives for the link of the In a parallel universe called 'what if.' column, I started to remember why I created this blog more than four years ago.

I never wanted to make this a preaching pulpit. Long email discussions never went anywhere and I had my share of lost friends due to the unavoidable build up these conversations always lead to.

My idea was just to list recent news/articles I’ve read for later reference. Another goal was to share those with whoever was interested. But that was it.

A lot of things happened since I started this thing. My family grew, my job became much more time consuming, and now I find myself not so much having fun with it but trying to find time to update it. Almost like a second job (a very low paying one for that matter).

So I am trying to find a way to improve this situation. Here is what I came up with:
- Turn off comments: Most of the posts are not a question (for posts that are indeed questions I will enable it). I do try to find alternative point of views for all matters, but I noticed that the (few) people who actually respond a blog post are not interested in debate. They are interested in proving you wrong. That is a huge waste of time. More on that in a later post.
- Write posts in English: I know this will alienate most of the people who come here, but at this point it seems like a good trade-off. I waste enormous amounts of time revising and “acentuando”.
- Get less involved in other blog’s discussions: This is basically point 1 applied to other people’s sites.

So that’s it. Let’s see what happens.